Tiger Creek Wildlife Refuge is located in Tyler, Texas, and their website is http://www.tigercreek.org/default.html.
The following information is copied from their website: http://www.tigercreek.org/intern_pgm.html.
Big Cat InternshipsEdit
The Big Cat Internship involves Animal Care Apprentice and Public Education
This is a 90-day unpaid position (by 4 quarters/terms) allowing one to gain experience in the zoological field. Job duties include cleaning, diet preparation, light maintenance, education tours, etc. Interns are responsible for the daily cleaning and health monitoring of a number of exotic feline species including, but not limited to: tigers, lions, leopards, and pumas. Big Cat Internship opportunities also include working in environmental education with schools and scout groups in a variety of learning activities. You will present short guided lessons on animal care techniques, conservation and rescue methods, backgrounds on the big cats, and much more. This wide variety of teaching opportunities and education training provides the intern with an exciting array of new skills and experiences. Training is provided by the staff.
- You must be at least 20 years of age
- You must have 2 years of college study in a related field (biology, zoology, wildlife management, ecology, etc.) or at least 1 year of job experience in a related field (vet clinic, zoo, etc) or 3-years of verifiable job experience in an unrelated field
- You must maintain or have maintained at least an overall average of 3.0.
- Some animal care experience preferred
- You must be capable of lifting up to 60 lbs and in good health
- You must be drug free
- We are looking for individuals who are hardworking, dedicated and self motivated
When Are These Internships Offered? There are four internships offered during the year:
- Winter Term: November 14th - February 13th (Application Deadline September 1st each year)
- Spring Term: February 13th - May 15th (Application Deadline December 1st each year)
- Summer Term: May 15th - August 14th (Application Deadline March 1st each year)
- Fall Term: August 14th - November 14th (Application Deadline June 1st each year)
- You should hear about the status of your application within 1-2 weeks after the deadline.
Detailed Description of Intern Duties
- The interns will be working full-time Mondays through Saturdays, with light duties on Sundays
- All interns will undergo training on safety procedures, crisis management, and the rules of the road involving Class 1 Animal Care
- Animal Care: Interns will be involved in the daily care of the animals upon completing training including food preparation, cleaning, light maintenance of the caging, grounds, compounds, etc.
- All interns will be involved in Public Education involving daily public tours and educational programs
- Each intern will be responsible for completing an individual project, to be explained further upon arrival
What Does Tiger Creek Provide?
- Room and Board (house on site - fully furnished, bedding and towels provided)
- TV, DVD, VCR and Satellite System, Internet Access, Local Phone Service (no long distance calls)
- Uniforms (with patches)
- Materials, Curriculum and Training
- Intern Vehicle (If you did not bring your own car)
- No Pets allowed
What Do I As An Intern Provide?
- Travel Arrangements to and from Tiger Creek (If flying, you will enter at Tyler Airport and we will pick you up)
- Proof of Current Tetanus shot (within 3 years)
- Your own meals (estimated $140 per month)
- Hiking/Work Boots
- Spending Money
- Work clothes for ~1 week (it takes about a week for your uniforms to come in)
- During winter months (Nov-March) you will need gloves and a coat or long sleeves to layer under your uniform
To Apply For The Internship You Must Provide:
- Cover letter, including an explanation of your previous experience, why you want to intern here at Tiger Creek, and what your career goals are for the future
- Recent Photo
Download the Big Cat Internship Application
- This program does not include DIRECT CONTACT with big cats!
- DIRECT Contact is defined as any physical contact with any animal, including cage contacts (reaching of limbs through gate openings, chain link), etc.
- These animals are not pets and if that is what you are looking for then you should consider an INTERNSHIP somewhere else.
- Only the Park Management is authorized to allow any direct or indirect contact and that requires either DIRECT SUPERVISION and/or TRAINING.
- DIRECT SUPERVISION is defined as "in person" or as in a "physical presence of a manager." This means that a manager must PHYSICALLY be in YOUR presence and/or authorize the occurrence.
- ANY and ALL VIOLATIONS involving direct PHYSICAL contact with the big cats is subject to immediate dismissal from the property under escort by local law enforcement, security, or management!
- Due to insurance reasons and the welfare of the big cats there are NO exceptions to this policy!
- Safety of the animals and the staff must always come first over personal needs or wants.
To learn more about Tyler Texas visit the area on-line.